Wednesday 30 March 2011



EVALUATION 


I wanted the most from this project is to project the type of design ideas that best reflect me as graphic designer, web designer but mostly me as a person; I wanted to use this opportunity to project my best aspects of my skill. I wanted my portfolio to be something unique and not dull and uniform like most of the other online portfolio’s out there. I used a range of  research methods on this project , as it the one I wanted to take up for the next two years , I wanted to get as much information as possible , firstly I decided to use a mood board , this enabled me to get my ideas from my head into something more substantial. Second I did primary visual research again , the design idea I wanted to portray in my online portfolio is similar to a well-known gastro-pub near the Newton building , so I went there and took a few photos as a key reference in my designs. I also looked a few YouTube video’s for inspiration, the theme I was looking for is the “hand-drawn” 70’s-80’s retro vibe, so I looked at the music band “Two Door Cinema Club” and their video “I Can Talk” which has a very retro vibe and I tried to use that vibe into my designs.


Trying something new...or at least trying

This where I felt I fall short  , even though I wanted to make something new and exciting for the viewer and also me to look , i wasn’t able to manage it in my own opinion and I believe it was down to two things ; one my lack of experience with Dreamweaver and Flash – Some of design ideas , I wanted to do in the first place , I just didn’t have the necessary experience to implement it into my design , others have more experience in Dreamweaver and some Flash and were able to make some impressive designs , and it was the first time were I felt a little out of my depth. Second was time – it dawned on my just 
how much detail is needed my creating a good website let alone an excellent one , each element requires something , such as the placement of the navigation bar in accordance with human eye , if I had more time , I would have liked to experiment with different ideas and design layouts , but due to the short time I had to work with plus my lack of experience in Dreamweaver , the design , although it looks good is quite simple in its design layout.
The most I have learnt from this particular project is the amount of detail required in order to make a successful website, every from the where the navigation bar will be placed , what type of typeface will the main content comprise of , will the website require some sort of Flash plug-in , or HMTL5 , so the main thing i have learned from this , is detail is everything in Web. Another thing which has hit , is that I feel that my future does lay in Web but more towards the designing aspect rather than the actual building.

No comments:

Post a Comment