Wednesday 6 October 2010

Design Process.


For my fashion blog project I wanted to research and explore different fashion photographers, as I began looking at fashion photographers, I realised it was a bit of a niche market, they weren’t as many fashion photographers out there that fitted my particular style I wanted to achieve in my blog , (that being the way lighting has been used , makeup , why and how it has been applied) using that information as a basis I was able to progress in creating my blog. First off I did a focus group for my sixth form, asking students what they see as “fashion” , and the main thing I got back from them is that fashion is mainly confidence , if you have confidence in what your wearing then you shouldn’t really matter what others say.

Then I came across what became my inspiration with this particular project – Scott Schuman. Scott Schuman is the creator of the popular fashion blog "The Sartorialist". After leaving his position as director of men's fashion at his showroom to take care of his daughter in September 2005, he began carrying a digital camera around and photographing people he saw on the street whose style he found striking. He then posted these to his blog, sometimes with short comments, always either favourable or open-minded. He is well known for photographing what have been described as 'real people.


Armed with information from my focus group and Scott Schuman , me and my partner , Catherine Quinn , went out and seeked out individuals that stood out in the mundane corridors of a sixth form collage which still implements a school uniform policy. What we were looking for was real fashion - in life you get people who shout , we were looking for people who whispered , people who had that natural sytle.

On Reflection , i am very happy with the outcome of this project , which I believe really it showed not only what we see as “fashion” but also what is socially acceptable – (try being the only guy in the entire college to wear Skinny Jeans).


No comments:

Post a Comment